Thursday, July 24, 2008

Ender's Game

I read Ender's Game. Impressive. From two reasons. Firstly, it is catchy and breathtaking. I remember not wanting to put the book down. I remember going to restroom while being impatient about returning to a cozy chair and checking Ender's latest adventure. Do I like science-fiction? I didn't find a pattern yet.... Yes, I loved Dune, but for me it was more like a Bible than like a SciFi book. Other SciFi books? Maybe to harsh, to out-of-this-world, too metallic and non-intuitive. (I have a very bad visual imagination. I find that SciFi descriptions do not create images in my head. That's why I rather enjoy the meaningfulness of dialogues and actions.)
Second reason? Ender's Game is not about some kids. It is myth, it is legend, it is "poveste nemuritoare". It is a holy story about a human being destined to become a leader and becoming a leader step by step. I guess we like to see human perfection, we like to see evil being vanquished, we like to see the constant evolution to the better. And we wish that we were Ender.

2 comments:

  1. Indeed, i liked Ender's Game too, very very much. I agree to what you said, with a small exception: it seems unfair to me to consider the buggers as to be "the evil" which needs to be vanquished. That is the point Scott-Card wants to reveal, that sometimes, and actually usually, there is only a very thin line between good and evil, and that this line is created by the lack of communication and understanding.
    About SciFi in general, if you read the big autors, and not crappy hard-SciFi, you will realize that imagination is actually used only to represent real life experiences and philosophy.
    Keep up the good work, you are doing a nice thing with this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nestedloop, I read your comment and I agree. But I think that the thin line between the good and evil is revealed only in the last part of the story.
    Until we are told about what buggers really are, the story has the appearance of the myth.

    ReplyDelete